Workforce alcohol misuse
Each year, millions of workdays are lost because of alcohol misuse, and more than forty percent of employers cite alcohol as a factor contributing to low productivity.
With the COVID-19 pandemic leading to a steep increase in ‘high risk’ drinking, this episode of the Talking Work & Health podcast sees Liam Sloan and Dr Mark Simpson joined by Lauren Booker, a consultant at Alcohol Change UK and co-founder of the ‘Dry January’ movement.
The discussion explores how employers can support individuals struggling with alcohol issues, including:
- Defining terms around alcohol misuse
- Identifying problematic drinking behaviours
- Avoiding an unhealthy and exclusionary ‘alcohol culture’ in your organisation
- How employers can initiate dialogue with employees who may be experiencing alcohol problems
- Available resources for employees concerned about their alcohol use
- The employer’s legal obligations towards staff disclosing alcohol problems
- How to promote healthier alternatives to alcohol in the workplace
Presented by Liam Sloan and Dr Mark Simpson. With Lauren Booker.