Gambling: The Hidden Pandemic
More than a million people in the UK are classed as ‘problem gamblers’, a statistic that has led it being described as a nationwide ‘hidden pandemic’. As well as impacting people’s personal lives, problem gambling can affect productivity at work and lead to poor mental health and sickness absence. Liam Sloan and Dr Mark Simpson are joined by Gamcare’s Helen Garratt to discuss how businesses can identify and support employees with gambling problems, including:
- Definitions of problem gambling and gambling harms
- Factors which have changed gambling habits in the UK
- Risks to employers from employees with gambling problems
- How lockdown has affected gambling habits
- How businesses can access advice on supporting employees with gambling problems
Hosted by Liam Sloan and Dr Mark Simpson, with Helen Garratt.